Monday, February 15, 2010

Sushi love

This happy three-year-old is experiencing many new things. One of those new things, as I've mentioned in previous posts, is a dance class. Well, last week a boy ballerina, we'll call him Bam-Bam, punched Ava in the stomach. Apparently he had been squirming on the floor distracting and bothering her for the whole class time and she told him to stop. Bam-Bam was not pleased with this. After the punch Ava stomped her foot at him, said "No m'am (typical Ava response), I don't like that!" Then she pushed him away from her...well, she pushed him a little more than just away from her. He may have slid across the floor and into the wall. Parents don't watch the classes, so I was shocked to hear this tale from the teacher after class was over. We talked about her response and I know she'll handle herself a little differently next time. I'm not sure we'll continue with dance after the recital in May, she's not thrilled with the idea of going anymore. Today she mostly just stood and watched the other kids. Poor little reluctant dancer.

Another new thing in Ava's life is her hairstyle. Her hair seems to be thicker and longer each morning when I fix it. I've started braiding it on both sides and gathering it in the back with a bow.


A little messy after a day of playing


The back


We received a Valentines gift package from Baba and Pops.


Excited about her candy


All the sweet goods


After our Valentines Day date Josh and I stopped by my favorite cupcake spot in Oklahoma City. Vanilla Bean for me, Cherry for Josh, and Chocolate (in the box) for Ava.


One of our favorite dinner spots in Norman is In The Raw. The first time I saw the name of this restaurant I thought it was advertising 'adult entertainment', but have no fear - it's sushi! Weekdays from 4:00 - 9:00 they offer many rolls for half price. Usually we all split an order of steamed edamame, Josh and I order a few rolls, and Ava has chicken and curly fries. Tonight when they brought out our sushi she gasped and said, "Mommy, that's my favorite color. That's mine." She was talking about the tasty orange masago (yes Mom, it's fish eggs) on the outside of my roll of sushi. She tried a few bites of mine and loved it. We decided to order her an avocado roll with masago. She ate it so well, and with chopsticks no less!



Josh and I are so proud of our brave girl. Bullies, fancy hair styles and new food? She hasn't even been three for a month and life is already more exciting than ever.

*Update*
On the way home this evening Ava was singing their recital song from dance (The Witchdoctor by Alvin and the Chipmunks). From the backseat I heard, "Ooo-eee, ooo ah ah, ting tang, walla-walla Beene Beene." Evidently she thinks they're dancing to a song about her almost 88-year-old great grandmother. Won't Beene Beene be so proud?

4 comments:

The Farmers Nest said...

I can't believe how "big girl" she looks with her new hairstyle.

JSW said...

Ava looks so much older with her hair like that! You've got a little grown up!!

Carrie said...

That is adorable! :) I loved this post. Ava is getting so big. I'm proud of her for standing up for herself. She will eventually learn how to shove with a little less brute force. :)

The Broaddus Family said...

Ava has officially done something I've never done... tried sushi! She's definitely an adorable little lady.