Monday, February 28, 2011

L-A-Z-Y

A quick shoutout to a sweet blurker who outed herself via snailmail, P. Thanks for the sweet card!

Hi, my name is Autumn Lockett and I'm a lazy picture taker lately. I promise that my camera will be an appendage this week.

In the past few days I have cooked for massive amounts of people, deep cleaned our house, hosted an international law function, taught Ava lots of important things in school, kept up with laundry like never before, and spent lots of time as a single mom due to HLS's school events. I'm not making excuses, just filling you in on events without picture evidence. Most of the week I wore some combination of t-shirt, tights, and whatever makeup didn't smudge off on my pillow the night before. Most of the week Ava wore her Rapunzel (ahem, REpunzel according to her) dress and no shoes. A barefoot princess, really Disney? Anyway, here is barefoot REpunzel sprinkling cut-up carrots in the backyard. Because of course she is.

We spotted the most darling little cottontail rabbit in our back yard one night. He appeared to be desperately foraging for food and my heart went out to him. The next morning I told Ava about our little visitor, and we had the idea to leave him a little sustenance - thus the barefoot carrot episode. The carrots have slowly disappeared over the course of this week, though we haven't seen the rabbit again. This mommy just hopes his little rabbit tummy is full.


This Sunday was our last to teach Sunday school for the month (my Stacy* and I teach Ava's class every other month). We talked about the beatitudes and used bees to make the concept more fun. The girls were supposed to finger paint bees onto yellow construction paper, but our little group of firstborns were simply not having it. {Please zoom in on Ava's face at the idea of mucking up her fingers with gooey paint.}

*That's right Rich. It's not a typo. My Stacy. Deal.

"Um, Ms. Stacy can we please just use a paint brush?" I swear it's like a room full of Ava James. So here are our dainty princesses brush painting their bees.


We listened to Flight of the Bumblebee and were amazed at how the instruments could really sound like bees.


After our lesson covering Jesus' eight beatitudes, we worked on our peacemaking skills while we played together.

While teaching this lesson I realized how long it had been since I read over these verses, so I decided to post them here.

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 5:3-10


Heavy stuff for 4-year-olds, heavier still for those of us who are old enough to practice what we're preaching. May we all work to be peacemakers in our corners of the world this week. Thanks for reading along with us.


1 comment:

Hannah said...

I had to look up beatitudes. I really had no idea that's what they are called. Thank you mac dictionary.

Did Ava J ever get REpunzel from Uncle Nate?