Sunday, August 22, 2010

Because my name is Autumn and I say so


Why is my blog decorated for fall? Check out the title of this post. School has started and I'm sick of 106 degree weather. I'm operating on the Field of Dreams "If you build it they will come" philosophy. I splash around fall colors and leaves and the temperature will cool down. Don't judge me. Just enjoy the new header and sip some cider, ice it if you must.
(PS, if any of you would like me to design a header for your blog please let me know. It's more fun than playing dress up with your best friend's Barbies.)

Anywho, Aunt Jaryn and Dusty came to see us this week. It was such a relaxing, lazy few days spent together. Ava kept them entertained with constant board games.


This is the actual Hi Ho Cherry-O game that Josh and Jaryn played with when they were little, so sweet.

Fun for everyone


So I've been debating whether or not to share these next few photos. I know some of you will think I'm crazy, but that's okay because the rest of you already know I am. Xanadu is wonderful, but the bedrooms are SO spread out. The kid bedrooms are upstairs in the center of the house, while our master is on the first floor on the far end. The three of us have never slept more than a few steps away from each other. Ava actually slept in our room until she was 18-months-old. She didn't grow a third eye, or sprout hair on her tongue. She is independent, articulate, and can fall asleep all by herself. It worked for us because we were all three comfortable with the sleeping arrangements. I know it's not for everyone. Keeping that in mind, you can imagine how we (read I) felt about Ava being upstairs alone. If we had another kiddo up there with her, or there was a firehouse pole she could slide down if she needed us I might be okay.

It was decided that she would have a bedroom upstairs, but would sleep in our master closet. It's quiet, cool, and dark (even during nap). There are two sets of doors between where she sleeps and where we sleep, so privacy isn't an issue. She's fine with the arrangement. It may not be forever, but it's what we're doing right now.


She even has a princess night light that stays on until she falls asleep.


Of course she still has three bedtime books each night. We read two when she was 2-years, and we'll read four when she's 4-years old. Not sure when we'll end this system, maybe we'll switch over to chapters when she's 5. This is one of her favorite parts of each day, even in her 'Sleeping Closet'.


We had to take Jaryn and Dusty to Sara Sara Cupcakes.


You haven't lived until you've sat on their AstroTurf front lawn at dusk with a glass of ice-cold milk and a melt-in-your-mouth cupcake .


Ava'a new favorite is Germain Chocolate.


Tomorrow HLS resumes classes. He actually earned 5 hours over the summer, so technically he never stopped. It's hard to believe that at this point last year Ava and I were making t-shirts and writing songs to cheer him onto his first day as a law student. I can honestly say that the three of us have never been closer or happier than we've been this past year. I can't wait to see where we'll be at this time next year.

Ava kissing HLS the night before school started. We officially christened him Hunky Law Student. He was such a trooper to wear the owl-feather mask and hero cape.


The supporters of HLS.
Yes, we will be busting out these shirts again tonight. Check back next week for all kinds of 2L beginning of year excitement.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Give HLS a big hug and well wishes from the Humphrey house. As stated in my last comment I love the Fall/Autumn decor - if only because it makes me believe that one day, hopefully in the not so distant future, the temperature will drop below 108 degrees, which is the temperature that was on the bank's display as I drove by today.

Adriane said...

Awww, I love how you've made the t-shirts a traditional "night before the first day back to school" thing. I'm glad I caught this post right before night-night time; you always encourage me to remain positive.

The Broaddus Family said...

Love the fall look. Wish it were fall myself. Maybe some late summer time we can book a trip up north when fall is beginning... that'd be lovely.