Thursday, January 8, 2015

Auld Lang Syne

 Hello friends.  I'm going to blog in 2015 or bust!   There won't be the same lengthy, picture-laden posts of yore, but there will be memories and a few photos.  Maybe a little blogging will help assuage my blog-atrophy guilt.  My write-a-novel-or-nothing mindset wasn't working so, I'm going to revamp.

Because moments like this are few and far between:


And this building and its occupants (and prospective occupants) now pulse in my veins 24/7:


And I spend every spare moment soaking up the happy that is this:


My blog has been neglected.  But I still have a voice, and a story, and I want my kiddos to have these memories somewhere other than FB.

So, what's up with us these days? 

Levin Alexander will be two in March.  Give the boy a ball, a book, or a blueberry (or 20) and he's a happy camper.  He has opinions about everything, from what cup he'll use for each beverage to where I stand when he kicks the ball to me.  He is a snuggler, but is infamous for his kicks and throwing blocks with cannon-force.  We work on "gentle touches, especially with Ava (who he calls "sista").  We were all praising Jesus when his head-butting days subsided.  (Three of four family members were concussed by his head force.)  He has hair like dandelion fluff and absolutely perfect pitch and timing.  He loves to sing along with the new Taylor Swift album, and never misses one "Hey!" with each track.  Every minute I think he needs to stop growing, but then he morphs into an even more fun, engaging version of himself and I'm okay with the growth.

 

Ava James will be eight this month.  She is a passionate reader, currently tearing through a 15-chapter Baby-Sitters Club book every other night.  (BSC fans, in case you were wondering, she sees herself as a cross between Stacey and Mary Ann.)  She's a math wiz who loves PE, proving she's at least 50% Josh.  She's been playing soccer on the more competitive circuit, and it's been a serious time commitment.  She has decided to drop soccer for a while once this season is over and plans to pick up piano again, and maybe add in some dance over the summer.  Ava is a serious, silly, starry-eyed dreamer all in the same moment.  She asks why, argues her point, and keeps us all in line with kind, gentle guidance.  Josh and I love watching her grow up, and can't believe she is the same little pink bundle we held in the hospital eight years ago.


Josh is in his third year working as Assistant Attorney General for Criminal Appeals for the State of Oklahoma.  It's a great job, that allows him to be a law dork all day and still be home in time to help with dinner and play with the kiddos until bedtime.  He spends his weekends watching European soccer and playing indoor soccer.  He listens to history-themed podcasts that I don't consider entertainment, paints, plays guitar, and can actually fold a fitted sheet.  We just celebrated 10 years of marriage, so he's obviously the most patient man in the universe.


I'm the Director of Admissions at OU Law, which basically means it's my job to make sure the best and brightest law students wind up at OU Law.  I'll spend days in Excel, or coding for a new web-based project, or splicing graphics in Photoshop, then spend the next  two days hosting brilliant students and planning fun events to make them feel welcome.  I travel to recruit and spread the word about law school, and work with a team of the loveliest people on the planet.  I see my babies at lunch and make dinner every night.  Sometimes there is mommy guilt or wife guilt or work guilt or all of it at once, sometimes Lev is cutting molars and no one sleeps, sometimes Ava can't find her shin guards and people yell, sometimes I run late and drive Josh insane, sometimes Josh doesn't gush with the chatty emotion I crave, but the sun comes up and the coffee is brewing, so who can complain? 


Here's to more time together and memories shared in 2015!
(And if you're still reading this, you deserve a hug.)